Sunday, May 8, 2011

Walt Disney Inspires Billions

My family and I spent this week at Disneyland. We introduced two grandchildren and one son-in-law to the Magic Kingdom. Our visit renewed my admiration for the genius of Walt Disney. I grew up just 3 miles from the Disney studios in Burbank, California. Four of our children were born in hospital rooms adorned with murals of Disney characters that Walt sent his animators to paint. He died in that same hospital.

Walt Disney inspires billions of people around the world with his characters, his theme parks, his movies, and his vision. He shared Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln to remind all of us of the meaning of liberty. He shared a message that It's a Small World when riots, race discrimination, and hatred abounded. He encouraged us to treat the world better at a time that fluorocarbons threatened the ozone layer. I marveled at his vision of the community of tomorrow at the end of his Carousel of Progress.

Cancer cut short his final dream, the Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT). The version we visit today, pales in comparison to the living, working community Walt envisioned. He tried to establish a vision for green, collaborative, planned communities decades ahead of its time.

Walt Disney inspired me with his statement "If we can dream it, we can build it". I've tried to share his confident application of work to dreams with others. I hope Walt's vision inspires you.

No comments:

Post a Comment