Friday, May 27, 2011

Select Your Email & Voicemail Wisely

I want to discuss the choices some people make in selecting email addresses and voice mail greetings.

Select Professional Email Names
I work with a lot of people that seek new jobs or want to start businesses. They constantly amaze me with their email addresses. You must recognize the situation before I share some examples. Remember, these people want to convince potential employers that they will be good employees or potential clients that they will be good suppliers. They should select names that communicate their name in simple, professional terms.

Some people, in the effort to impress, send potential employers email names like the following: "blue_420129", "atomic_1999", "pgyankee2", "onefromcanadaeh", "dadsgirlhi", and "hotcoed". These are real email addresses I encountered while helping people find jobs. How do you think potential employers feel about hiring "dadsgirlhi" or "hotcoed"?

Voice Mail Greetings
Another common problem deals with voice mail greetings. I remember one frustrated person that had called scores of companies and no one would ever return her calls. So, I called her and listened to the following greeting "Hi You know you reached the right number if you recognize my voice. Please do not leave a message if you do not recognize my voice". I immediately understood why no one returned her calls--she told them not to unless they recognized her voice.

Job seekers need to change voice mail greetings to communicate clearly that they contacted the person they wanted. The greeting should include the person's name not just the phone number. Your voice should express warmth and welcome. Ensure that you return calls the same day, even if you leave a message after hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment