Monday, October 31, 2011

Family Night at the Symphony

Utah WoodwindsLast week our family continued a 48 year tradition. We went to the symphony together. My wife and I were there with our 6 children, their spouses, and all of our grandchildren (including our six month old granddaughter). In addition, my sister was there with her family. We all enjoyed this wonderful family tradition started by my parents 48 years ago.

My mother and father instilled in their children a love of the arts and culture of this world. They did so at great sacrifice. They did not drive the newest cars. We did not own a boat or a big cabin by a lake. Instead, we soaked in the culture, the arts, nature, and more. Mom and Dad built memories for their children to treasure for a life time.

We Started Young

I remember attending the LA Symphony in the Hollywood Bowl in Southern California. I think I was maybe 10 years old. Our whole family was there. We (along with all the major patrons of the bowl) ate our dinner, with candlelight, along the walks leading into the bowl.

I don’t remember all of the music, but I remember Zorro appearing at the top of the hill and riding his horse all the way down to the stage. I remember someone, it could have been Peter Pan or Tinkerbelle, flying through the air from the trees at the side of the bowl to the top of the bowl. I’m assuming Disney sponsored that children’s evening at the symphony. I just remember how exciting it was.

That began a long history of symphony, theater, museums, and more. I saw Zero Mostel play Rev Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof. I saw Richard Burton, Julie Andrews, and Robert Goulet in Camelot. My parents started us very young.

As My Children Came Mom & Dad Continued the Tradition

We moved to another state, but Mom found the symphony performances for children. Our symphony called them the “Lollipop” concerts.She bought season tickets for four performances a year: the young performers (featuring youth soloists), the Halloween concert, the Christmas concert, and a concert featuring the story about a major composer.

Mom & Dad still buy season tickets. Our children now take their children. I observed, as a proud grandpa, as each of the children sat enthralled as the trolls romped on Bald Mountain, the storm troopers marched to John Williams, and the goblins galloped to the thundering sounds of Stravinsky and Prokofiev.

The six month old did not stir. She did not fuss or cry. She sat for 90 minutes glued to the sounds and sights before her. The 18 month old also sat transfixed at the bows, the trombones, and other strings and sounds. The 10, 7, 6, 4, and 3 year olds have grown up with the symphony. They look forward with delight to each concert. My adult children continue the tradition. Some of them attend the symphony. Others attend the ballet. Some the opera.

Share The Arts with Your Family

I’m so grateful to my Mom and Dad for establishing this tradition. They sacrificed to provide for us. We now sacrifice to provide the experience for our families. I encourage you to sacrifice for your family. Most community symphonies provide inexpensive (relatively) concerts for children. They recognize the need to develop artistic tastes in the upcoming generation or audiences will dwindle even more.

Cultivating an appreciation for the arts proves to increase intelligence, study habits, and grades as children grow older. Call your local arts council and find what offerings you can share with your family.

Join me in November when I share how we shaved $1,200 of our monthly grocery bill

No comments:

Post a Comment